Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan 19 - emergency heat

I went into town yesterday -- Loring that is -- picked up the mail, some groceries and minnows. I then lost three minnows to theft ... pesky fish. I'll try again today and tomorrow and give any leftover minnows to Jim Matthews. Jim and Bonnie will be coming over late today for a drink.

I spent some time yesterday setting up what I'm calling "emergency heat" -- this would kick in if something went wrong with the propane furnace but we still had electricity. I had saved two digital thermostats that my Dad had setup in the basement of the old cottage that are perfect for this purpose. I don't have a permanent setup yet; the thermostats are dangling from wires, but I'll eventually (maybe next fall) have a better setup. For this purpose I brought down two of the 220v/1500w heaters that were up in the rafters of the garage. These baseboard heaters were across the front of the old cottage under the picture windows. I used them during construction so they were already setup with 2x4 feet.

A total of 3000 watts would not keep the place very warm when we're in a deep-freeze. It's -22C/-8F outside right now and due to go down to -32C after we leave. The idea is that some heat in a strategic location, i.e. in my workroom which is under the bathrooms and in the games room under the kitchen, might provide just enough to stop any significant freezing. In addition, of course, the pipes have already been drained, so theoretically freezing would not have any impact. Perhaps my time would be better spent doing something in the wine cellar, where freezing would definitely have an impact. The alternative ... draining all the wine bottles ... would be an interesting challenge !!

I didn't do very much else yesterday. Today I will develop two rolls of film that I shot around here and out west and plan to scan before we leave. Once in Florida I'll upload these plus any digital shots from Christmas and travels and update the web site.

In the mail yesterday I got a notice that there are two more cases of wine awaiting our pleasure in Parry Sound. I called the store and found that the case from December is also waiting for us. Rather than make a special trip to Parry Sound during the limited time that we have here I think that I'll pick up the three cases and leave them in Stef's basement until we return in April.

Sandy hasn't ventured outside yet. She spent much of yesterday cleaning and doing laundry, tasks that I am capable of but leave to her whenever possible ! I, meanwhile, helped Arlene with a PC problem, watched a little TV, watched my fishing holes, brought in some wood, did my heating work, caught up on my finances with the PC, and probably did some other things that I forget doing.

Guess what we had for dinner -- crappie ! No, these were not fresh-caught -- they were frozen from the Fall -- but excellent just the same. I would catch more ice fishing if I stayed outside and tended my lines but it's too cold. We have a couple of meals of Pike in the freezer that will probably serve us in May once we're back. Fishing season closes late March or early April and then re-opens before Victoria Day weekend. In the meantime the Pike and Pickerel are spawning. Bass season opens late June. Crappie season is open year-round, if you can find them.

Today and tomorrow, then we head south -- I'm looking forward to that !

No comments: