Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feb 24 - Sandy's off

Well, the big event yesterday was Sandy heading off to Orlando to meet Marda's flight. As it happened, Timing was perfect -- Marda's flight was early and she had her luggage about the same time as Sandy arrived at the airport. Sandy didn't even have to use the cell phone parking lot, as it's called.

I called Sandy when I got back from my bike ride and they were about 70 miles from Naples FL; she called much later to say that they'd gotten in safely ... immediately got into the wine and snacks ... actually I think that was not really the reason for the call ... she needed Marty Smith's phone numbers.

Today she has the luncheon with lots of her friends from Philadelphia who now spend all or part of the winter in Florida. She'll have a good time.

I left the house yesterday before she did, heading north into a strong ENE wind. At times it was a factor and at times I was well sheltered. The unencumbered bike didn't feel as weird yesterday ... I'll have to get the gear back on it shortly or I'll become spoiled by the light weight ! With the temperature in the 60's, a short sleeved jersey and my red vest did the job. It was a very pleasant ride but I stuck to US 1 due to the East wind. I'll setup a route for a later ride that will go north on US 1 and then over to the beach for the ride back. In between there is a wonderful park that we've driven through. I'll have to look at the total mileage, which I don't pay much attention to when I'm driving.

Abby got two walks yesterday from here to the beach. On the way back last night we did the circuit around the school, which is a dirt road. We saw a couple of raccoons to keep Abby at high alert. Today I hope to take her to the beach. That's her treat.

Every time I open the garage door I do a double-take. I'm used to seeing it packed tight but Sandy has the car. I still think that we should get a smaller car -- a Mini or Smart car -- and perhaps take up the extra room with another bike, only one with a motor !

The volume of motorcycles is building. Tents are being setup. Vendors are arriving. Bike week officially starts on the weekend but by the end of the week the place will be roaring. Last year at the start of bike week it was pouring rain and cool. I remember riders out there in the rain. This year it looks like it will be hot. The "ladies" will be dressed appropriately !

That's about it. The sky is getting lighter. I'll probably go to the beach early with Abby.

No comments: