Monday, April 23, 2007

April 23 -- Costa Mesa to Thousand Palms

Well, the first day is done.

Sandy had breakfast with Karen Klimas and then headed off to Phoenix to stay overnight with George and Geri before flying back to Philadelphia.

I left with "the gang" -- 28 riders and 3 support (who ride some of the time) for Newport Beach. They have this ritual of dipping wheels in the Pacific and then ending the ride with dipping wheels in the Atlantic -- well, you can imagine what some stranger might think of 28 bikers in bare feet (had to take off biking shoes and socks so that they are not gummed up with beach sand) -- carrying their bikes down to the ocean (who wants all that sand all over their bikes ....).

We left at 7am and I, along with several others, arrived at the motel in Thousand Palms at 5pm. Elapsed time: 10 hours; Rolling time: 7:26; miles: 121.6. Some riders arrived sooner; some arrived later.

Bill Reenstra was plagued with flats all day -- 4 in total -- and he trashed a tire and rear wheel in the process as well. Bad luck, plus Bill is a big guy and therefore more weight is on those wheels.

The route took us along the Santa Anna River Bike Trail, for the first 32 miles; Paseo Grande; Ontario; Temescal Canyon Road; Cajalco Road; Ramona Expressway; Highway 79N; 6th Street, Beaumont; I10; Frontage Road; I10 again; Route 111; Ramon Road, Varner Road. We passed within a couple of miles of Arlene's house and climbed the same hill that I did in the rain on Friday. The two major hills were about 1200 foot climbs each.

Of interest ? -- the wind farm, i.e. hundreds of windmills before you get to Palm Springs and the accompanying tail winds. I cannot imagine what it would be like of those winds were headwinds -- we'd probably still be riding. At times we were easily cruising over 30 mph without even pedaling, and still feeling the wind at our back. Since this is at the tail end of the ride, it's a great cap to a great day.

The temperature started out in the low 50's and ended in the mid 80's. The support vans have a bin that you can put clothing into that you no longer need for that day -- it does not work the other way though -- they will not take clothing that you might need later -- there is no guarantee that the van will be there when you need it. If you think you might need it, eg a rain jacket -- you have to carry it.

And the cue sheet ? -- too much was made of the twists and turns in the river trail -- it is straightforward -- and the rest of the ride is fairly simple.

Bill needed to do some work on his bike so I hiked out alone and found a fast food place for some Mexican food. It filled my belly ... it was cheap ... I cannot do this every day though. The alternative was either to stop in Palm Springs along the way and then get back on the bike for another 8 miles -- I was not interested in that; or Denny's here in Thousand Palms. I decided to skip the Denny's since that is where we are having breakfast.

It's a good bunch of guys, and two girls. No one was out to break any records -- there's no point and no one to take notice !

So far I feel good -- I had no problems at all on the hills -- I left some of my riding companions behind and waited for them at the top. That's not to say that I was fast -- there are many faster than me. There are many more hills to go ...

I may think of other things later, but my brain is going dead at this point.

3 comments:

George said...

Good job for day 1! We (Sandy, Geri, and I) are calling it a day as well, even though we didn't put in anywhere near the effort today that you did. I'm really glad you're off to a good start. See you Wednesday!

George

Dave said...

Good job! 120 miles on a bike is mind boggling...

lifeclimb said...

Hi Dave, My name is Robert Lykins and will be cycling across the country starting Sep 3rd. I am riding with 7 other riders for a charity called LifeClimb.org . We could really use your help by talking to you about your ride from Costa Mesa to Thousand Palms. Please call me at 586-531-4684 or email me at cutcorob@yahoo.com