Wednesday, April 25, 2007

April 25 -- Blythe CA to Wickenburg AZ

Well, another day is done. My body is finally realizing that something different is going on. This is the real thing ... the trainin' is over !!! We have done almost 365 miles in 3 days -- the punishment has begun.

I also realized that I missed one very critical element in my training and this morning I could feel the results -- the briefing sheets from America By Bicycle should stress that you have to be able to eat for a week at Dennys ... I'm not used to this diet -- I think that the only vegetables that I've seen have been on the farms that we've passed. I also felt a distinct lack of sleep this morning -- the lack of A/C in the Super 8 motel kept me waking up.

However, in spite of the fact that my stomach was feeling a bit uneasy this morning, the day went remarkably well. We set out in temperatures in the low 60's and got into Wickenburg, temperatures in the low 80's, 8:15 later (3 pm). Mileage -- 115; rolling time 7:12. The climbs were moderate and not a problem. I still had ample reserve -- which I'm saving for tomorrow, hopefully ! Tomorrow is our biggest climbing day, in terms of actual vertical climbing -- over 11,000 feet.

Bill and I rode together all day -- groups were scattered and mostly small -- some singles, mostly 2's and maybe a group of 3. For the last 20 miles or so we joined another group of 3 so we were a 5-some coming into the hotel.

The hotel is a Best Western -- quite a step up from what we have had to date -- but I'm not complaining about the Red Roof Inn or the Super 8. Both were clean, well maintained, with friendly staff. I could have switched rooms last night but did not -- life goes on. Wickenburg is a "western" town -- the stop sign coming into the hotel says "whoa".

Things of note from the ride today -- frankly, although Mike Munk (ride leader) calls the Box Canyon yesterday one of the prettiest rides of the entire trip, I like the Arizona desert better. Hilly, rocky, sparse vegetation, lots of cacti -- including of course the signature "tree" -- the Giant Sajuaro. It's also less dusty than the California desert. I have not checked my chain yet, but do not expect to clean it today.

The route was simple -- a few miles in Blythe, and then onto I10 for about 35 miles. We then turned off for Wickenburg on SR 60 for the rest of the way. The biggest climb was about 1700 feet, and it was on I10. Rest stops were off SR60 -- the last rest stop was provided by a "friend of the ride". His objective was to provide those things that he wished were at SAG stops when he used to ride -- so we had donuts, shrimp, coke ... Shrimp is a little unusual ... if I had my druthers, I'd have ice cream sandwiches at every rest stop (and as a matter of fact I bought on today at the adjoining store). After the ride today I walked down the street about 100 feet and got a chocolate milkshake.

What else ? nothing comes to mind -- oh, Bill Reenstra and I are going to dinner with George and Geri. They are due to arrive at the hotel 5pm local time. Perhaps I should stand up during dinner -- my eyes are already drooping and it's only 4:20.

1 comment:

Dave Thompson said...

I'll post a comment addendum to my own blog -- I had to laugh at an email from Alice Pao -- please understand that it's not about Denny's per se, it's about the change of diet -- Denny's is just the foil for my sense of humor (humour for you Canadian readers).