Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Aug 18 - woodpiles

It was a quiet day, the first while spent writing that blog about the GA. Sandy went into Sudbury to do some catch-up shopping for odds and ends. I watched some TV, just kind of veging, but decided that I was going to fall asleep if I watched very long. I needed something that was mindless ... and piling wood was perfect.

That took the bulk of the afternoon. I piled a cord for Jason, which he will then move down to his cottage shortly. The rest almost fit into the woodshed with about a half-cord or so piled behind. I helped move stuff down from Sandy's car then wandered next door to see how they were doing with the ceiling work. Jason & Gavin & Kyle had finished up the section that needed scaffolding and were wrapping up for the day. I sat on their deck for a while ... then went over to get Sandy, had a shower and we all sat outside for an end-of-day drink.

We had bass for supper, some small ones that I'd caught a while ago. Oh -- now I remember the other thing that I did yesterday -- picked up the contents of the minnow trap and re-set them. The minnow traps were full of catfish with some dead ones and dead minnows also in the traps. It's strange because a couple of weeks ago when the kids were here I wanted to catch catfish and deliberately left the traps out overnight thinking that I'd have a few but ended up with many many minnows. The other thing that was strange was actually having dead minnows & catfish in the trap. Perhaps the leftover bagel didn't agree with them ?

Still needing minnows, I re-set the traps by the culvert on the other side of 522 ... picked that up later in the day and I had a dozen or so. I brought the catfish home and put them into the large aquarium that the girls had setup as their "marine zoo". They should survive, unless of course I use them all as bait, until Lauren gets back.

Speaking of bait, I tried using a catfish this morning when I went fishing. I caught a "keeper" pike and at one point hooked a bass that got away. I suspect that the bass do not bite on the catfish but that will take additional experimentation to come to that conclusion. The bass bit on a regular minnow.

I'm going to go for a ride shortly. I might have left it until tomorrow but the weather is great today and tomorrow's forecast is for rain. I don't really feel that energetic or inspired but will probably feel better once the legs get moving.

That's it.

No comments: