Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oct 23 - another quiet day

Sara mentioned it in her blog, me in mine. Otherwise the month has gone by unmarked. Perhaps that's best -- rather celebrate Alexander's birth and life than his passing. Sara has had quiet time; Emma needed quiet time ... but she was too tired for that so it was tears for quite some time. Jeffrey is tired from being on-call. Broken sleep doesn't leave one rested.

Jeffrey, Sara and Emma went to their church; I went to mine, having found a church with a 7:30 a.m. Mass.

We did some more moving, minor furniture and "stuff". Sara did a lot of organizing downstairs. Sandy has been reading a new book -- thick and small print -- this one will hold her for a long while.

I was tempted to get into the book that I have with me, but didn't. I've exhausted my online reading -- CNN, BBC, CBC, Toronto Star, Macleans, Velonews, various other wetsites ... totally caught up at this point. I know all about Libya from all perspectives. Gadhafi salts away $200 Billion yet Ahmadinejad blames the U.S. 30,000 for every man, woman and child in a country with huge poverty yet Ahmadinejad blames the U.S. If I say it any more often does it sound any less stupid ??? I guess he believes so.

I did get over to the wine store and bought some of the wine that we've had over the past few days. It's red; it's cheap; it's good ... what more could I want ? Tuscan too. Yay Tuscany !

Jeffrey and I played with Emma for a bit after she calmed down, hopscotch outside. Emma and I took Abby for a walk ... Jeffrey was supposed to join us but had been paged. That's what happens when you're on call.

Tomorrow a.m. we'll leave after Jeffrey and Sara get back from their counseling session, around 10:30 I expect. We'll easily be ready to roll by that point. I won't even have to wake Sandy up !

--------

We opted to go to the Jumbo China Buffet rather than have the lasagna and salad that arrived from the mother's group. I had a hankering for Chinese food and I'd seen this buffet when I went to the BofA. Going online to search for something closer, nothing showed up and in fact, this place had gotten rave reviews.

Well, the buffet was huge. There weren't as many mixed vegetable dishes or mixed dishes in general -- chow mein / chop suey -- but tended to be one or two items, eg. spicy chicken (chicken cooked with jalapenos), beef and green peppers, broccoli with beef ... you get the idea. There were items that I'd never seen in a Chinese buffet before -- steamed crayfish (crawdads ?). Jeffrey brought one back but couldn't figure out how to eat it. I saw one lady leave the buffet with an entire plate-full ... I didn't try.

The buffet had American food as well -- steak, pizza, mac-n-cheese, so no-one would be left out. In fact, you could eat an entire meal without having what we think of as being Chinese food.

It also had a hibachi like the buffet that was on Lancaster in Wayne that we (Sandy, Jeffrey, Stef, Aaron, Kylie and I) used to frequent. A cook behind the counter would prepare your selection. That's probably where I'd have gotten a mixed veggie dish but I was already pigging out on everything else. Emma did well, eating a selection of things.

The fridge is overflowing with food at this point, leftovers from the day before, the day before that, last night's complete dinner ... if we were staying longer we could help them catch up, but we're leaving this a.m.

It's 7:30 a.m. now. Emma, Sandy and Sara are all still in bed. Jeffrey and I are up.

Onward ... soon ... hit the road !

No comments: