Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mar 25 - par for the course

Late in the day I received an email from Fields asking if they could keep the car for another day.  I called Kelly and basically they had only started on the car, so she said.  They hadn't even done diagnostics on the A/C problem so if that needs a part, I won't even get the car back today or if I do, I'll have to go back yet again.

I don't know what it is about this dealership.  Not once have they ever kept up with a service promise.  Yes they do some extras, wiper blades last time for instance, and yes, I appreciate that, but they are always understaffed or overbooked, not sure which. 

I joked with Angelika that the Service Rep must do more apologizing than I used to do in Benefits Administration, and that's saying something.

Speaking of which, it's almost 8 years since I retired.  That's amazing.  Angelika was saying something about work and I kind-of glazed over.  She then said "you don't really care do you ?" ... well, no.  If something happened and I had to go back to work, it would be doing something constructive.

It turned out to be a beautiful day.  I probably should have gone for a ride because this morning the thermometer says 42F and the high predicted is in the mid 50's.  With the 400k booked for Saturday, I won't be riding Friday ... perhaps Thursday, i.e. tomorrow is a better day for my one other ride this week.

I thought that I had a solution to my frame decision issue but heard back from Lynskey that they won't do mods on the less expensive frame that I was going to order to replace the broken one that I have.  I wanted them to simply add rack mounts, but no, they won't do that.  Litespeed doesn't have anything to offer me either.  I'm caught between a rock (off the shelf frames) and a hard place (custom frames).  Custom frames also take a long time to build.  Basically I'm looking at next Spring.  I suppose that I could get myself into the queue by sending someone some money and then speccing the frame later.  That's a consideration.

So ...

I did some bike cleanup, remounting my rando wheels.  I'd had the Rolf's on; love those wheels.  A couple of days ago I replaced a chain that was getting to the wear point.  The sand down here is terrible on chains.  The entire drivetrain needs to be enclosed. 

I also received the headset removal tool in the mail and popped off the headset cups from the Lynskey frame, preparing to send it to them.  I'll find out today from the sales guy how long it takes them to repair the broken chainstay.  I'm expecting that it's not quick.

Carol and Alister are supposed to arrive today.  It doesn't look like we'll have good boating weather, unfortunately, until next week.  I'm not sure how long they intend to stay -- certainly the weather up north isn't going to "pull" at them -- Montreal highs are in the upper 30's this coming week.  Right now it's -4F at the cottage -- that's certainly not going to help the ice go out !

We had tuna for dinner last night.  It was good.

Onward ? 


No comments: