Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Oct 17 - and we’re off ... again

Taxi to Cairo airport, flight to Athens, flight Ti Tel Aviv, dinner (maybe) - that's our day. Right now we are on the first flight leg.

Security in Cairo airport was, if anything, more intense than Tel Aviv. You can't even get into the airport via taxi without being stopped and questioned, a little back sheesh for that guard (a cigarette) then all bags scanned going into the terminal, tickets checked just to get in, flight check in, passports checked over and over, forms filled, passports stamp, stamp, stamp, bags scanned again at the gate, etc etc. wow

As I said to Sandy, I'd bet that some of this predates 9/11. The Middle East has always had strife, people willing to die, firmly believing that will earn heaven.

We'd eaten breakfast promptly at opening, 6am. At 6:15 I was at checkout. By 6:30 they sorted out our bill, manually added the breakfast charge ( you are very honest, my mad said ), and we boarded a taxi. Traffic wasn't busy on the way, half hour transit) but with all the security steps we didn't have much time to wait around.

Aegean didn't object to my carry-in magic carpet; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. We each had our backpacks and one other bag ( plus carpet ). Hopefully Aegean will be as accommodating in Athens airport. We should have had them check us right through but I'm not sure if that's possible since the flights aren't actually connecting.

What an adventure !

Open mouths on both sides of me, some guy on one side, Sandy in the other. Both are fast asleep. Across the Suez, over the Mediterranean, skirting land to Greece. Wait ! You're flying right over my destination ! Oh well.

I get a chuckle out of Aegean. Don't pretend that specs aren't tight for flight attendants. The could be twins, all four of them, well quads. Same age, same shape, fine facial features - and sisters to our outbound flight attendants. Octuplets ?

Their service, overall, is good though.

Onward.


Sent from my iwdt

No comments: