Every once in a while I have to blog about a few things that I've forgotten to blog about ...
So ... where is the grass greener -- Phoenix or New Smyrna Beach. Answer -- Phoenix, since any grass is only there because it gets watered regularly. It's brown, brown, brown here now. It doesn't look like there has been any rain since we left in December. Riding through the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge you can clearly see where a shower has hit the ground sometime in the last month. Everything else is either brown or black -- black because the Forestry Service has taken advantage of the dryness and performed a controlled burn to get rid of the undergrowth. The burn doesn't affect the P's & P's (Pines and Palms). I guess that before MAN came along, the occasional lightning strike would rejuvenate the habitat ...
Gas Prices -- on the way down the price for Regular varied between $1.50-something and just under $2.00. Having said that, I think that I only saw a price advertised in the 1.50's once. The prices for Plus and Supreme are now mostly in line, with the price for Supreme/Super generally 20-30 cents over the Regular price. Diesel is now typically about 50 cents more than Regular, not much more than Supreme in most places. That's good news for George, who heads to Alaska this spring with something shy of 25 tons of RV, contents and towed Range Rover. He needs to win one of those "free gas for a year" prizes ... or course there is always a limit and they'd probably say that the prize doesn't apply to diesel !
Spring in NSB -- remember in December I remarked that it was Fall in NSB, that the stand of Maples was in color ? Well, they're in color again -- those curly red leaves as they open up. That's what I like about NSN -- a six week, over freezing, winter -- and the ability to go back for real winter at a time of our choosing !
Ok, enough of the catch-up observations --
I went out for another ride yesterday. Contrary to what I'd told Aaron earlier in the day that my butt was getting tougher, at first it rejected the bicycle seat. That must have been my immune system ? Actually it was ok once I got settled down again but at first, ouch ! I've now put in three 70 mile days and it's time for a day off. Recovery is a necessary part of exercise -- really.
Today's plan was to go out in the boat, since the predicted temperature was 82F but they've dropped that to the mid 70's with the possibility of showers this afternoon. That's ok, I was expecting a shorter trip today anyway but it would be more fun if these clouds cleared. Tomorrow is showers again (supposedly, but not according to the grass !) and I may, just may go biking anyway. I need to get used to biking in inclement weather. I've got some long rides coming up and I'll have to take what gets dished out.
Speaking of long rides, I'm planning on doing the 300km ride on Feb 21st and unless the weather looks frightful or something else happens, I'll probably do the one on the 7th too. It's closer, running out of Melbourne FL.
Firday we'll likely go to Orlando to pick up that car battery, go to Costco and Whole Foods ... a drive to Orlando is about the same as driving to Sudbury ... just warmer !
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment