I was reading an article about elliptical trainers. Apparently there's an ongoing debate (a running debate?) about whether they provide the same benefit as running. The following statement was the summation, which I found humorous:
Ultimately, the elliptical is a perfectly good way to get fit. But unless your goal is to master the art of moving your feet in little ellipses, it makes sense to add in other, more functional activities such as walking, running or biking. "Mix it up," Dr. Knutzen advises. "Don't do the same thing every day."
I'm working on circles instead of ellipses !
----
Are rechargeable batteries better for the environment ? Yes, and no. Yes, if they work in your device. No, if you only end up throwing them away later because they were of no use. Such is the case with rechargeable AAA's and my MP3 player. After about 2 hours it detects that the voltage is too low and shuts down. That's because NIMH batteries (or NiCad for that matter) don't put out the same voltage as alkalines. They put out around 1.25 volts vs 1.5 volts. So ... the rechargeables that I bought for the MP3 will ultimately end up in the garbage somewhere and not save one disposable. What a waste. Today I'll cycle with a disposable, which provides over 15 hours of playing time.
----
Rest of the day -- I went for my bike ride, south into the wind, turning at Wildlife Drive on Merritt Island to go over to Titusville on the mainland. That's the first time that I've tried that route. It ends up being about 74 miles, cutting a few miles off the route by the Visitors' Center where I could top off my water bottles ... hmmm. Anyway, I'm usually good for 70 miles or so with two bottles at this time of year. In another month though, when it's hotter, I'll need more water for a 70+ mile ride.
I was home before 4pm and called Sandy. She and Marda were on their way, close to the Orlando airport at that point. They got home just before 5:30. I went over and picked up fish -- Grouper -- which we had for dinner. There's enough left over for my lunch tomorrow ... not today because we're going boating today, at least that's the plan.
That's it for now.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment