Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Aug 25 - heading south

We're now in Cullera, just south of Valencia.  We made it a full day trip by visiting the Monastery of Montserrat along the way.  Fascinating switch back climb to this little village on top of a mountain -- not a big mountain but a mountain nonetheless.  I convinced Sandy to take the Funicular up the last bit and we got the real bird's eye view.

The drive from there to our overnight in Cullera was pretty boring, when you get right down to it, reminding me of the 401 west of Toronto although flatter as we followed the Autovia down the coast.  Oranges as we got closer to Valencia; olives everywhere; desert-like conditions for the most part.

Parking.  The hotel said public parking.  Yep.  Street parking.  We parked overnight in a no-parking zone along with a hundred other cars.  I was lucky to find that.

Dinner was anything but boring.  We ordered a salad (me), calamari (Sandy), a plate of roasted veggies, lamb leg (me) and Sole (Sandy).  We were full after the first three.  My salad was huge and very good, lots of greens, pate and balsamic; Sandy was served five full squid and the veggie plate was enormous.  The main courses featured mountains of fries, but neither of us touched the fries.  I did take pictures and will post later.

Today ... on to Malaga.  More street parking, by the sounds of things.

Onward !


No comments: