Saturday, October 21, 2017

Oct 20 - started but not finished

So ... on several fronts ...

I took down the non working fan on the underside of the top deck.  Can you believe that it was hung there with three pieces of 2x8, side supports, 3/4" plywood, all attached to the 2x6 deck above.  Now I have to figure out how I want to hang the two new fans.  I've got the fans in hand and wires dangling above.  I'll need conduit, water tight boxes etc etc.

The new satellite dish is installed on the roof.  2" heavy duty pipe, foot attached to the roof, bracket at the side and then brackets to the upper level.  It's a brute.  The LNB holder didn't arrive in the mail until after 5pm and at first I couldn't figure out how it would be installed; figured that out as it was getting to dark to work up there.  I was finding a signal but no cigar yet.

... and I did figure out why the power rear hatch in the X5 wasn't working.  It took some back-and-forth on the bimmerfest discussion group but I finally found what looks like a VHS tape -- really -- and has three big connectors.  It even opens like a VHS tape, once you cut the seal.  Inside, it was completely corroded. At some point I've had water coming in there, which I've got to track down but even with the rain here in the last couple of days, it's dry, so whatever problem there was ... isn't.

So that was the good news.  The bad news is that it's an expensive part.  I'll take solace in the fact that it would have cost more for BMW's diagnosis and installation; a lot more.

I took Cassie out in the boat but the tide was way too high.  At the local sandbar, there was a good 18" of water and a very fast current.  I came back home and left the boat in the water, waiting for the tide to go down.  Cassie stayed in the boat for about 1.5 hours.  She knew that the boat bag was in the boat and she wasn't going to miss out !  We did go and she got some running, fetching and swimming.

This morning I'll get that dish oriented, hopefully, and then go for a bike ride.

Onward !

No comments: