Saturday, August 4, 2018

Aug 3 - with a little help from my friends ...

It was a productive day.  The morning was occupied with getting the carburetor clear enough of the 4-wheeler that I could do some dismantling and cleaning.  As with most things of this nature there's a) a technique and b) someone with tiny hands.  I have neither.  However, I did manage to get it free and apart and cleaned out some accumulated gunk that's probably varnish / gas deposits over time and voila, it's running again.  That saved a) paying someone and b) two trips to Parry Sound.

I wandered down to the waterfront and thought about moving the old dock somewhere out of the way and oh well, let's just cut it up and be done with it.  I was part-way through that when Gav came over and decided to bring the saw over and cut up the decking into campfire sized pieces.  Once the decking was off, I pulled the undercarriage into the cove and finished the job, piling everything neatly, maybe.  Jason then volunteered himself and Gavin, since they were already using their 4-wheeler to haul away the campfire wood, to help move the crap up out of the way.  So ... the styrofoam is now beside the garage out of the way and the crappy wood by the burn pile. 

This morning I took the travel bike out to 522 at the ESS Narrows and ride it a km, checking the brakes and shifting.  The brakes could use a little tweaking so that they aren't squeaking :) but everything else is ok, AFAIK.  I guess that I'll have to get out for a few hours in a day or so.  It's hard to believe that a week ago I was winging my way back to Montreal, the Stelvio in the past. 

I also used the DR trimmer a bit.  I need to do some roundup-ing to beat back the grass and weeds growing on the driveway.

Clear this morning and then for about 1/2 hour we had a faint campfire smell, the first since the day after our arrival.  The lake was dead calm so I can only guess that some downdraft moved a little smoke our way.  It didn't last long and we now have a gentle breeze that is going the correct way to keep the smoke away. 

David & Vanda pick up Megan in an hour or so; Jeffrey is on his way with Zoe and Matthew.  Take a deep breath .... :).

Onward !


No comments: