Wednesday, May 20, 2020

May 19 - by right

I figured that it was about time to call CBSA - Canadian Border Services Agency.  After enduring a long, long monologue about entering the country, 5 minutes ?  10 minutes ?  I finally got through to a person.  Canadian citizens, resident in Florida with a summer home (didn't want to call it a cottage), coming up at the end of the month ... and she only had one question - you're all Canadian citizens ?  Then you can enter the country "by right". 

We've never had medical coverage in Canada before, well not since we've been living in the US.  There's very limited coverage from Medicare and our Supplement.  This year, for the first time, and coincidentally with a pandemic, we have an all-year travel insurance plan that would cover us as long as the border is open.  With the border closed, the State Dept has Canada (and the entire world, right now), listed as "4", i.e. do not travel or essential only.  Once it drops to a 1 or 2, we'll be good.  That may occur when they open the border or that might only drop it to a 3.  Time will tell.  At that point we'll probably make a shopping trip to Buffalo :) but in the meantime, we'll chance it.  If we feel ill, we'll high-tail it for the border.

Now I'm getting anxious ... but Sandy has appointments to see through.  Hair Thursday.  Annual mammogram on Friday.  ENT next Wednesday.  These were all deferred due to the pandemic.  The ENT is follow through for the pesky mucus issue that has caused her problems but seems to at least be under control with a saline rinse.  My hair was also deferred and I may or may not get it cut.   I too will need an appointment if I get it cut.  I can always go to Sudbury for that.

It's getting hot now.  90's yesterday.  We're now into the period where the temperature easing means high 80's.  

Disney Springs is about to open.  I'd be tempted to go, just because it would seem sort-of "normal" but Sandy isn't keen.  I said that there are many outdoor restaurants.  She countered with there are many here.  True, true.  I guess that we'll stick with the Tiki on the weekend.  We may or may not, probably not, see the Tiki on the May 30/31 weekend.  We'll likely be on the move by that point unless something gets in the way.

The sun has just poked over the horizon.  Had I been better prepared, I'd have been ready to get on my bike.  70F now; within an hour it will be 80F.  I'd better resign myself to some riding on the trainer followed by riding on 522.  Ugh.  In that sense I'd be better off in Florida !

Onward !

No comments: