Sunday, April 2, 2023

Mar 30-Apr 2 - a very strange thing

I did make it to Wellington NZ. Long trip.

Briefly saw Arlene, Ernie & Daniel, staying overnight and dinner out at a Mexican restaurant. It's a lot of driving from LAX and back but worth it. Ontario airport is closer to her but my outbound as from lax.

The AA flight was ok. 5 hours in wide seats. I'm feeling the effects of sitting legs down, however, and lots of walking avec backpack and small bag. Leg/knee is constantly clunking.

Back from Arlene's, I got to Alice & Peter Pao about 12:30 and left around 4, back to lax around 5:15, Avis shuttle, Air NZ checkin, security, found the lounge and then wait. It all went fairly smoothly.

It was great to see Alice and Peter but also sad. Peter isn't really there. A brilliant mind taken by Alzheimer's. Enough said.

Note to self - there are two Avis locations close to lax - when navigating with Waze, choose the right one next time. Rerouting was only 15 minutes and I had plenty of time.

2nd note to self - with many hours in between, Uber to/from Alice from lax is very practical, but obviously not to/from Arlene !

I drink too much coffee. The downside of that on an extreme time zone change is not being able to sleep the night through due to caffeine withdrawal. I probably got 5-6 hours. Two cups of coffee later, the headache was easing. Another 2-3 cups had the flight attendant wide eyed with amazement.

Another car rental and I was on the road from Auckland to Wellington. That was a long drive. Landing in NZ at 6am, I was fairly wasted by 4 pm getting to my hotel in Wellington.

I walked to a nearby grocery store and picked up provisions for dinner and breakfast.

On the photo below, do you see the little mark near the top left. That's a piece of glass that I found in my ear this am. I have no idea where that came from. It was just sitting where people hang their EarPods. I don't see anything on or in the bed. Very strange. How long was it there?

No comments: