Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Oct 16/17 - small projects, perhaps

This and that - some RUSA work, perhaps we're gradually getting our house in order :).

I finally dug into the RUSA taxes.  They're due Nov 15 which means before we head to Oz.  Of course they're only due Nov 15 because I applied for and was automatically granted, the 6 month extension.  Once I do them the first time, the second should be easy.  In Canada, an outside accountant handles them gratis ... which reminds me that I have to close the books on Randonneurs Ontario's 9/30 fiscal year.  Groan.

I thought that I'd have to do a bunch of adjustments to move the numbers from the current semi-accrual accounting to cash, but it looks like I can use the numbers straight out of QuickBooks.  That's good.  The opening asset balance ties in, which is what I was worried about.  At the end of this year, if I'm paying attention, I'll pay off the Amex and there will be no receivables, making things just a little bit easier.  Susan had suggested going to Accrual accounting, but I believe that means restating our membership fees, a large chunk of which are paid in advance, so it just flips the problem around.

The coffee roaster part came in and a few minutes later Sandy was roasting coffee.  Thank goodness.  The two batches of beans that we'd bought can be thrown out.  Awful stuff compared to our roast.  Not my cup of tea ... er coffee.

The satellite dish came in yesterday and I did some work on assembling.  It's like a flying saucer.  HUGE !  I've got to figure out how I want to mount it on the roof and am also awaiting a part that they forgot to include, the LNB holder.  It's now in the mail and is due to arrive on Thursday.

The Jabra Freeway is now behaving itself, AFAIK.  I guess that it's a keeper.  There's still a lot of road noise; perhaps we have to play with location because the M5 is pretty silent.  I don't know how it compares with road noise with the X5.  I've not been on the receiving end of calls.

Back to the dish -- it takes a much bigger diameter pipe.  I'll stop at HD and see if I can find something or at least something that I can use as a collar to fit it to the old pipe.  I do have to figure out how best to anchor it to the roof; it's a beast. 

We had huge wind and storms last night, so much so that I closed three of the hurricane shutters - kitchen, loft and ICW-facing bedroom.  We had water come in under the kitchen sliders, the rain was hitting those doors so hard.  I don't know if there's something that can be done in terms of a sweep that would direct downward dripping water away from the threshold.  It wasn't a huge amount of water but enough to get the carpet wet.  Luckily that's just a 3x5.

My drug plan enrollment got messed up as my former employer's plan was already registered with Medicare, so the Aetna plan was rejected.  I called Medicare and they sorted part of it out but now I need Aetna to do their part which means a whole 'nother enrollment and that time on the phone.  I was pretty irritated last night with the 3rd of the Aetna people that I'd talked to. 

Doing a 1200k is faster and easier than enrolling for health insurance in the US ... I thought that was worthy of a FB post and then FB forced me to do it three times and then close the window and start again ... that should have told me something.

Onward !

No comments: