Friday, November 4, 2022

Oct 31-Nov 3 - back to crutches

Well it seems that I have a broken kneecap and a grade II MCL issue.  The kneecap accounts for some of the swelling; the MCL the tibia and femur clunking.  My Ortho appt is next week.  Online reading indicates a period of time in a brace.  In the meantime, I'm back on crutches, babying the knee.  It hasn't popped in a couple of days, which is good.  Crutches are a PITA limiting mobility, making it hard to carry wine and coffee :).

The MRI was quick and painless, much different than the one in PHP.  20 minutes vs 1:20; music to mark time, comfortable surface.  Of course back on Oct 2, I wasn't comfortable anywhere, let alone on a metal bed; there was nothing to mark time for that long, long duration MRI.

It took some time to get into radiology, probably the better part of an hour.  By 4pm the results were posted on the Advent Health website and I was reading them as the Dr's office called.  I had probably downplayed the issue when I saw her - "I have a knee issue" - perhaps had I evidenced more pain, urgency, an MRI would have happened sooner?  Walking in with a cane, it probably didn't look urgent.  Hard to say. It is what it is. 

In the meantime, since I'm back on crutches, I'm not making any more trips to the grocery store.  They do have those scooters but I haven't tried that :).

The ordinary things that take up my day, aren't.  No riding.  No recovering.  Less cooking (too much trouble to do eggs in the a.m., protein at lunch, my seed bars), so my caloric intake is likely way down - but then again, so is my caloric expenditure.  My wrists aren't quite used to the load that they're carrying.  Nor is my right leg.  My left leg is shrinking.  

I'm not known for my patience.

Onward but slowly.


No comments: