Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Jan 3-23 - more time slips by

Better than the alternative!

I could have sworn that my last blog actually got us to Florida but perhaps not. 

We had a relatively quick trip down. Cottage => Oakville (Sandy hair cut with Al) then continue to Summersville La Quinta.  We overnighted in Burlington, having dinner with Joyce, in the middle of that, staying at and eating at the waterfront hotel. There were no issues at the border but it was a long day. The next day was equally long, hitting New Smyrna after 7, as I recall. 

I squeezed in a 100k or two that week, and opted for a 200k on the Sunday, figuring that a 300k on Saturday would be too much, too soon.  This was Paul's traditional 200/300 weekend only reversed. It was cold to start on Sunday, frost on the ground. My expectation was that I'd be pushing the 13.5 hour time limit but I had a confidence boosting 10:15 and felt pretty good. A few days later I did 100k and felt great. Later that week another 100k beat me up. Go figure. 

In the meantime, not much. We met with Jim Brendel and Jeff re the master bath renovation. That's supposed to start this week. 

I've done some garage cleanup / purge and similarly thrown stuff from the closet cabinet. I ordered a replacement wine fridge for the garage. The old one died. I have now swapped the summer tires back on - the winters don't have another winter trip left in them so I will use them up over the next couple of months before the swap. The summer rears are almost bald so those will be replaced immediately after the swap, before heading north for the winter. In the fall, I will replace the snow tires. 

I've not been happy with the staggered run flats on the X5. Tread life is terrible.  The pirellis are just as bad as the ones before. Very puncture prone as well.  I was seriously thinking about going to non run flats but I'll simply replace the rears this time around.  The run flats do add a measure of safety. 

I definitely have more aches and pains now than I did before the Philippines but that could be age. Sandy has also accumulated more issues. C'est La vie. 

I'm trying to nail down biking and travel plans. I'm looking at NE Florida 1200 with Hamid in March. New Zealand in April. S Korea in June. Munich in July. Paris in August.  It's hard to say whether all that will happen. NZ travel is complicated. Korea and Germany and France are easy. 

Sandy has her Nile cruise in April. She will come to Korea and France. At least that's the plan. 

Michael and Karen were going to visit but had been exposed to Covid. Sure enough, Michael came down with it. Jason and Loraine had their bout. Afaik we have not been through it. 

We met with our lawyer yesterday to tweak our trust agreement. That was a domino resulting from signing an Ontario will. That can all sit for now but I should review the accounts and beneficiaries at some point. 

Onward, ever onward. 
--
From my iwdt

No comments: