Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Apr 5-6 - hanging out

That's pretty much it.  Hanging out, although I did take a drive yesterday to the top of Arthur's Pass to see what was in store for us.  It's about 110 kms from the start.  I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to do all the climbing.  The weather is probably about as good as it gets - cold but not wet.  When I drove, after the first climb it dropped to 3C but it was earlier in the day than I'll get there on my bike.  I do have a ton of clothing and what-not with me to help on the long descents - and there are long descents.

Day 3 is actually the most difficult day but perhaps by then I'll be a little more confident.

It's a thin field.  No, it's a non-existent field.  Two of us start at 6am.  Another is flying in that day and starting at the first overnight.  Two others are starting from the same place as me but on Saturday.  They expect to complete the ride in 3 days.  Good for them!

I'm in a Quality Inn and it is quality.  Plain but spotless, full kitchen, great host - he works 8-8, leases the place and runs it.  There are about 35 motels on this strip so there's lots of competition.  A 5 minute walk is a very large mall with a huge pack-n-save grocery store.  I've spent a fortune there.  I've managed to get the luggage and my bike (assembled) into the car for tomorrow a.m.  My host volunteered to keep my luggage, move it into my room on Monday and leave me with the key to the room.  I'd rather have it all with me in case for some reason I'm back earlier and want access. 

Our organizer Andy is driving a van and will carry a drop bag, some food that I'm bringing and my backpack in the van.  That's pretty much it.  12 hours from now the alarm will wake me up (assuming that I'm sleeping) and I'll be at the starting point 14 hours from now and rolling. 

Onward.   

No comments: